I’m going to talk about dealing with it.
Here’s my top ten list of things we are going to have to get over and deal with in 2013.
- Some people are going to cheat. Deal with it. If someone finds in necessary to rob their kid’s ADD meds to beat you in a sprint for a gift certificate on a Tuesday night race, that jackhole is sad. Don’t bitch, have a beer and deal with it.
- There are bad examples out there ruining it for the rest of us. Fixies have the dorks who dive in and out of traffic. Roadies have rich douchebags on ten grand bikes who treat others at Starbucks like second class citizens. Off roadies have downhillers. Triathletes have elitist crazed diet tech dorks. Try to represent your discipline with a little self realization, depreciating humor, and a good example. Deal with it.
- Helmets are optional in non event situations. Deal with it. Consider it thinning of the heard.
- Someone is usually going to have nicer shit than you. Just pedal harder and deal with it.
- Alcohol, bread, and everything that tastes good makes you fat. Deal with it, or ride more.
- Race promoters are truly out to make money. That’s how it works. If the race costs too much, or you don’t like how they run the event, deal with it and don’t go back.
- Less than 1% of athletes get to the big time. You probably won’t be one of them. Deal with it and move on. And get a job.
- Guys with funny noses are faster than guys without. It’s just plain aerodynamics. Trust me. Deal with it.
- You will crash on your bike. It will happen eventually. Learn to tumble properly and insure your shit, both body and gear. Don’t spend so much on your stuff that you can’t ever replace it when it cracks.
- Drivers and bikes will never get along. When someone honks at you, smile, wave, and deal with it. Or get it on tape.
In other words, just understand that we will never all get along, all the time. All of our dreams will not come true, just some of them. Hopefully we will spend less time in 2013 worrying about the petty stuff that doesn’t matter, or can’t be changed.
I’ll shut up now.